For many years, the Leo Baeck Centre’s House of Study (Beit Midrash) Committee has had an ongoing and popular program of talks, panels and discussion sessions designed to appeal to all sectors of the Progressive community and to increase the knowledge of participants. Events are often held at LBC on Sunday mornings, commencing at 10.30am.
Two popular annual events are the Leo Baeck Lecture and the Yom Ha’atzmaut Dinner. The Leo Baeck Lecture is held on a Sunday evening in March as part of the Kew Festival (http://kewfestival.org/) and usually features a guest speaker with a high public profile. LBC commemorates Yom Ha’atzmaut by looking at the various immigrant groups that make up Israel’s diverse Jewish community. We hold a Saturday night dinner in one of Melbourne’s many ethnic restaurants, accompanied by a talk about the Jews from the country whose food we are enjoying.
The House of Study Committee also coordinates a number of other LBC events such as LBCinema, details of which are elsewhere on this website.
The House of Study upcoming and past events are listed below. We are always interested in hearing of suggested events to add to our future program. Please contact the LBC (firstname.lastname@example.org or 9819 7160) if you have any proposals.
- HoS presents: The God You Don’t [Need to] Believe In
- Sunday Elul Seminar
- Bus Tour of Jewish Boroondara
- HoS: History and Status of Palestinian Refugees
- Tikkun Olam: Be Careful What You Wish For
- HoS Presents: Jews of Indonesia
- HoS: Jews in Historical Videos & Audios
- HoS Presents: Understanding Women’s Position in Orthodoxy
- HoS – The Origins of Halacha
- Pre-Limmud Panel