Hasbara -How to respond
- World Union for Progressive Judaism Israel Emergency Appeal
- UIA Israel at War Emergency Appeal
- JNF Support Israel Appeal
- Equipment for army and soldiers-Hamal Nalbish
- Magen David Adom
Account Name: Magen David Adom LTD
BSB: 013 304 Account Number: 462276829
Please include full name as reference for receipting purposing
- Hadassah Australia. Your support is urgently needed to purchase medical supplies, essential equipment, and other indispensable devices for healing and saving the lives of some of Israel’s most severely injured victims. Click here to donate.
- UIA has launched another meaningful way to support the People of Israel in these devastating times.
You can send a virtual hug to our brothers and sisters in Israel with a community message of support and love.
Please upload your video message on the UIA video sharing platform and they will be passed on to the victims of terror. Click here to upload a message.
- GiveNow – JCCV – LEADING THE WAY
- The Israeli Defence Force has asked for help worldwide. One of the things that they have asked for is beanies for the soldiers. Winter is approaching in Israel and the weather can be bitterly cold especially the nights. There is a need for 350,000 beanies!
To this end, Renee Glass and Pam Wertheim are spearheading an effort to get the Australian community involved knitting for our brave soldiers. The response has been heartwarming, but there’s a need for more. Can you knit? Do you know anyone who might like to knit? We would love to get knitting needles clicking and making these beanies. The completed beanies can be dropped off at my house and we will arrange for them to be delivered to Israel. This pattern is also available via email.
Please contact Renee Glass (email@example.com) or Pam Wertheim (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like any further information. Information regarding sending the beanies to Israel can be found on: www.hatsforisraelisoldiers.blogspot.com.
- Those wishing to support the organisation of rallies / community vigils should email email@example.com to join the working / volunteer group.
Additional working groups have been established by the ZFA for the below topics – those interested in getting involved should contact firstname.lastname@example.org: Media Monitoring; Research; Additional community volunteering and organising.
- From Dr Monique Ryan MP, Independent Federal Member for Kooyong:
Dear Tanya and Deborah,
I’ve been devastated to see the dreadful events in Israel and surrounds.
I know these are very close to home for many Australians and the diaspora in this country,
I’m reaching out to see if there’s anything I can do to help/ provide support to you and your community.
Please feel free to call or email if I and my office can help in any way.
Our thoughts are with the Jewish community at this really sad and challenging time.
- We have received letters of support from the community of Kew Uniting Church and that members of the local community have left flowers outside our Centre.
- Drash from Rabbi Nicole Roberts available here. Below is an excerpt.
Last week, before 7 October, I wrote a d’rash on parashat Noach for this column. I have since disposed of that d’rash, having revisited it post 7 October and found my words now irrelevant. After watching footage of young hostages being driven off to dangers unknown, after hearing the anguished pleas of their parents, after reading the WhatsApp communications of terrified families in “safe rooms,” many things have lost relevance. Here are a few: any podcast that isn’t about Israel; any facebook post that isn’t about Israel; most news stories that aren’t about Israel. This is just where I am at the moment. Meanwhile, other things have gained new relevance. For instance, in our services last Shabbat, prayers I’ve read a million times all seemed to have new meaning, felt more powerful, brought more tears. “Blessed is God, who frees the captive”; “Blessed is God, who girds Israel with strength”; “Act for Your own sake… so that Your loved ones may be rescued. Save with Your power, and answer me”; “Oseh shalom bimromav, Hu ya’aseh shalom aleinu v’al kol Yisrael—May the One who makes peace on high make peace upon us, and upon all Israel.” Amen.
- World Union for Progressive Judaism statement is here, in over 10 different languages. Below is an excerpt:
As Jewish people, we underscore the infinite value of human life, as we are taught in Torah, and in times of crisis and deep pain, we must look for humanity even when our pragmatic approaches differ across the world. It has now been nearly four weeks since the horrific attack by Hamas on the people of Southern Israel. The World Union for Progressive Judaism, the global network of over 1,000 communities in 50 countries, representing over two million reform, progressive, liberal, and reconstructionist Jews continues to embrace our siblings in Israel with our love and support.
- Zionism Victoria has posted the following statement:
More than 230 red balloons were on display in Fed Square yesterday representing the Israeli hostages being held by Hamas in Gaza.
A handful of white balloons were also on display, symbolising the kidnap victims who have been released and rescued.
The balloons were attached to shoes alongside images of the hostages still in captivity.
The Balloons of Hope installation organised by Zionism Victoria attracted crowds throughout the day, including a number of politicians.
Among those who addressed attendees were Deputy Premier Ben Carroll, Deputy Leader of the Opposition David Southwick, co-convenor of Parliamentary Friends of Israel Paul Hamer, Nina Taylor MP and Sam Groth MP.
You can watch a video of the installation filmed by Yoav Yona and the speeches in Fed Square by clicking here.
- Pictures of hostages are available here: https://setthemfree.com.au/
- Dear friends,
To show their solidarity with Israel, members of the Australian Jewish community and its friends and allies are invited to be signatories on a letter which will be presented, in person, to Israeli President, Isaac Herzog at the end of the month.
Auspiced by the Zionist Federation of Australia and the United Israel Appeal, this letter is a powerful articulation of what so many in Australia’s Jewish and broader community are thinking and feeling.
Please help us to achieve our goal of gathering thousands of signatures on this letter.
The letter can be found at www.zfa.com.au/solidarity and we ask people to sign it by Friday 24 November.
I’ve attached tiles which can be used on your social media and shared in all the whatsapp groups I’m sure you’re part of.Kind regards,
Chief Executive Officer | Zionist Federation of Australia
P: (+613) 9272 5517 | (+61) 0412 251 343
A: 306 Hawthorn Road, Caulfield South, VIC 3162
Additional Information Resources:
For regular updates on Israel please use any of the following to assist in keeping up to date with events.
- ZFA newsletter: email@example.com;
- Times of Israel: https://www.timesofisrael.com/
- Situation in Israel 2023 – North Shore Temple Emanuel (nste.org.au)
- JCCV update
- Mental Health resources and psychological resources
- This includes one-on-one counselling sessions for those who need it.